IDEA Tech Tip: Create Archive Project and Free Up Space On Your PC Today
Leveraging Archive Project improves productivity by enhancing your computer’s performance
We have all come across a situation where the number of project folders in IDEA can seem daunting. The sheer volume and size of projects taking up vital hard disk space on our PCs are difficult to manage. However, there is a convenient way to tackle this hurdle: the Create Archive Project task.
This feature in IDEA maximizes disk space on your machine by archiving Desktop projects that are no longer used. You can also use this task to share Desktop projects between IDEA users. Archived projects contain all the IDEA databases and associated Library files for a selected project. They are compressed into a zipped file (*.iarc/iarc2) and stored in a default or user-defined location. You can choose to delete the Desktop project folder after the archive process is complete to free up valuable hard disk space on your PC.
Here is information about Archive Project from IDEA Help:
- It is recommended to only archive Desktop projects that reside on your local drive
- Archiving Desktop projects on mapped network drives is not supported
- Locked Desktop projects can only be archived by the user who locked the projects
- The active Desktop project cannot be archived
- The Archive tasks are temporarily unavailable and grayed out while other tasks are running in the active Desktop project
With the release of IDEA 10.4, we have also seen improvements to Archive Project, including:
- Support for IDEA folder sizes of over 4GB
- Faster archive speeds and higher compression ratios thanks to the updated compression algorithm
- Support for network drives makes freeing up local hard drive space easier and simplifies the sharing of projects with colleagues across a network
Enhancements to Archive Project is only the tip of the iceberg for the capabilities of 10.4. To learn about our entire feature set, you can read our content that tells you the integrations of IDEA 10.4 transforms the performance of your audit team. For more information about the 10.4 release, you can also read the 10.4 blog that provides a list of all the features in IDEA 10.4.
You can also watch the latest webinar delivered by the CaseWare IDEA Product Team.